Throttling YouTube uploads with Chrome

If you are sharing an internet connection with others, while uploading video content to the likes of YouTube. Then one issue you will have run into quickly is that you can quickly saturate the up-link.

Thus, making browsing unresponsive for the other users, since that up-link no longer has capacity to deliver their browsing requests.

A handy trick to get around this is to use the developer tools offered with Chrome to limit the amount of bandwidth you are consuming on your upload.

You can access this functionality by pressing F12 key on your keyboard to bring up the “developer tools” panel within Chrome. With the network throttling option offered under the “Network” tab.

The throttling can be selected by pressing the downward facing arrow at the end of the “Network” options. Though you may need to expand the amount of space visible to see the drop arrow to access the speed menu. (As shown below)

A number of presets are available which can be selected, along with the option to add a custom configuration.

Click the “Add custom profile” button to bring up the custom profile settings. Here you can supply the upload speed limit which is expressed in kb/s. For my purposes I want to restrict my uploads to around 5mb/s, so I entered 5000, the filled out dialog is shown below.

The action is completed by pressing the “Add” button highlighted in blue.

Once these actions have been completed you will be able to select your new profile on the Network tab shown earlier.

Your uploads will now be restricted to the limit you specified while the throttling option is active.

Bad Horse

A shout out to Brian Brushwood for highlighting this, it’s great and you need to take the time to try it out.

Do a trace route to “” from a command prompt. In Windows this can be accomplished by opening a command prompt and typing the following at prompt.



The Reinhardt back story video is easily my favorite of the Overwatch videos released this year, the Hanzo backstory “Dragons” a close second. Both are well worth a watch.

And here’s a video of Reinhardt gameplay.

Elite Dangerous – Vacation time

Elite Dangerous is a seriously good looking game, but you know sometimes we’re in such a rush to get in and out of the stations that we never really stop to take in the sights and sounds of them.

So with a name like “Big Harry’s Monkey Hangout”, I figured this is a place to stop and take a tour. So here are my holiday snaps of the various parks and administrative centers.

Just arriving at Big Harry's and preparing for docking.
Just arriving at Big Harry’s and preparing for docking.
An impressive administrative centre.
An impressive administrative centre.
A picture from the tour bus.
A picture from the tour bus.

Nice place for a picnic.

Anothe park.
Anothe park.

Elite Dangerous, Control panel

Elite Dangerous, I love it as you might have gathered.

But while playing with a nice Hotas joystick and keyboard is great, I find it somewhat breaks the sense of immersion when you need to use the keyboard or joystick buttons to do things like engage your landing gear or deploy your cargo scoop.

What I needed I said to myself was a control panel, something with switches and buttons.
And there are a number of such things available, but I thought I’d have a go at making one for myself.

To that end I purchased a Teensy 3.5 micro-controller which would act as the brains for my panel. In particular one reason for taking this particular board was the presence of an SD card reader. This will allow me to store my key mappings on an SD card meaning I can easily change the functions of the switches without having to reprogram the controller.

The next major issue I had was finding a housing onto which I could mount the switches. And while a good number are available online, none really fitted the size (and price, yes I’m cheap) for what I had in mind. 

But where there is a will there’s a way. 
So using some spare MDF I had at home. I fabricated a housing to take the switches.

Count the holes, that’s twenty six of them. Six latch switches and twenty buttons.
That should cover me for most cases, anything else can be handled by the joystick.

A quick run of the plane and some sanding to take the edges off, followed by a quick spray of black paint.

Here you can see the tangle of wires connecting the switches to the micro-controller.
Don’t even try to solder these, spade connectors are the way to go.

I’ve not yet wired up the led’s for the buttons, so it’s going to become a lot more crowded in there soon. 

On the bottom you can see the micro-controller and SD card holding the mapping file I’m using, that’s a 8gb card holding a 1kb file. Memory has sure gotten cheap. 

Finally here’s the assembled panel, not perhaps as pretty as the commercial products. 
It works great and thanks to the configuration file is highly adaptable for use in both Elite and other simulators (looking at you Star Citizen).